I’m feeling a bit sheepish lately. Ashamed. Kind of embarrassed. For the second time in less than a year, I have been nominated for the Leibster Award. I mean, how nice is that? In fact, the word “Liebster” is a German word meaning, “dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved…”. Awwww. So, what’s the problem? Just me. For some reason these nominations have put me into a blogging tailspin. More like a crash and burn. Weird, right? I really enjoy blogging: the projects, the picture taking, the photo editing, the writing process, the proofreading, the editing and finally, pressing the “Publish” button. But, oddly enough, after each nomination, I have put off blogging for months because, accepting the award seems like so much work and it would be downright rude to blog on any other subject without responding to the nomination, right? Do you see my dilemma?
That said, though, I seriously see these nominations as a super sweet gesture from fellow bloggers and I am finally ready to get on with my blogging life. Onward and upward!
My first nomination came in July 2015 from Kimberley at Seaside Ave. You should really go check out her blog… she writes about a variety of topics, is a bargain shopper (like me!), does homey DIY projects, has great taste and a really nice writing style. Thanks, Kimberley!
Here are the questions that she asked me:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I decided to start a blog a while back because my family lives far away and I thought it would be a good way to share what projects I am doing with them and others.
2. What’s your favorite hobby?
I love to find items for super cheap and figure out how to make them look, well, not super cheap! This includes furniture, accessories, clothing, jewelry, etc., etc.
3. Which blog post are you most proud of, and why?
I would have to say my Textured Wooden Pumpkin post is my favorite, because I really love the finished product. This was a “let’s just see if this works” kind of project that turned out better than I had hoped it would.
4. What’s your favorite baked good?
My first thought was brownies with walnuts, marshmallows and chocolate frosting, but then I thought about homemade bread with melted butter. Mmmmm. I’ll go with the bread!
5. Coffee or tea?
This one’s easy…neither.
6. If you could move anywhere, where would it be?
That dream move would be to Utah state where 4 of my 5 children plus 2 daughter-in-laws live. Also, my parents, 8 siblings (I know, right?!) and their families plus a whole host of aunts, uncles and cousins live there. Yep, it would have to be Utah.
7. What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received?
“You’re never fully dressed without a smile”
8. What is the first blog you remember reading regularly?
Tidbits from the Tremaynes: Mandi is a hilarious writer and does amazing, over-the-top projects. Seriously…read her blog! I don’t know her, but I do know that she lives in Utah. I want to be her next door neighbor.
9. What are 11 random facts about yourself?
1) My birthday is 9/11…kind of a downer, right, but I share my birthday with my grandpa, a cousin, my best friend in high school, and my niece. 2) When I was a teen, my family owned a pizza place called Purple Pig Pizza and I ate pizza every single day. 3) Pizza is still one of my favorite foods. 4) I have been to Australia 3 times in my life. 5) At age 18, I got hit by a taxi cab while in a crosswalk, crossing a street in Australia…threw me up on the windshield and down to the pavement. 6) The taxi driver yelled, “sorry” out his car window as he drove off. 7) After being married for almost 30 years, every day I make my bed because, and this is the thought that goes through my head each day, “I don’t want Scott (my husband) to think that I’m the kind of person that doesn’t make my bed”. 8) I didn’t make my bed every day when I was single. 9) I went to a One Direction concert with my older daughter last year and acted like a teenaged girl singing along with every song. I’m kind of a teen-y bopper. I currently have the High School Musical 3 soundtrack playing each time I drive my car. 10) Every Friday, when I pick up my 16 year old daughter at high school, we break out singing, “Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday!”. If you aren’t familiar with that song, don’t look it up…it is probably the most obnoxious song ever written. 11) I am currently working on an online program to finish my bachelors degree through Brigham Young University.
10. What 5 things would top your gratitude list?
- My family including wonderful in-laws
- My faith
- The blessing of healthy, able bodies for my family and I
- I’m proud to be an American
- This world that we live in is so beautiful in such diverse ways
11. What is your favorite color?
Currently, I love all shades of blues.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Secondly, I was nominated by Caitlin at Flannelgraphs way back in March 2016. Her blog is a sweet blog that provides great mommy and family tips, as well as providing hope and encouragement for those who are grieving and in need of healing. You really should check it out. Thanks, Caitlin!
Caitlin’s questions for me were:
1. Who’s your favorite blogger?
This one is a repeat…Mandi at Tidbits from the Tremaynes. I can’t say it enough…she is hilarious and you have to see it to believe the huge scope of projects that she takes on. Amazing!
2. What’s the thing/person/place that motivates you most effectively?
I would have to say my home and the people in it are what motivates me most effectively. I’m always looking for ways to make my home look nicer, more organized, and easier for my family to live in.
3. Where do you physically do most of your blogging from (couch? bed? kitchen table? sandy beach?)?
I do all of my blogging at our computer desk in our family room. I do like the idea of doing it on a sandy beach, though!
4. If you could have dinner with any one person, here or gone, who would it be?
My great-grandma Sadie Tolley Harris. She died when I was a senior in high school, but we had a super strong bond. She was sweet, and soft and hilarious and thought I could do no wrong.
5. When is your most productive time of the day?
Hmmm…this varies from day to day. I guess that I use mornings to try to get things done, but sometimes projects scream out to me at 10pm and I dig in and get them done.
6. Watery expanses or mountain ranges?
Ooooh, can I have both? My parents do, along with city lights at night, and that is the view that I crave. Is this too much to ask for? If I have to choose one, it would have to be water views.
7. What’s your favorite season and why?
I love summer because the kids are out of school and life is just simpler. My hubby can come home early from work, load up the boat, and within 3o minutes we can be out on Shasta Lake. It is also when our out-of-state kids come home to visit.
8. It’s Friday night: what are you most likely up to?
Pizza and a movie.
9.Sweatpants or leggings?
10.Who has been your biggest supporter on your blogging journey?
I would say that my mom is my biggest supporter. She thinks that everything I create and write about is amazing. Moms are great that way, aren’t they?
11.Cat crazy or doggie lover?
This would be a big, fat…neither! Let’s just say that I had a bad experience that included a mouthful of fluffy St. Bernard fur in my mouth as a teen. Ruined me for life!
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Wake up, wake up…are you still there? This post is getting quite long, so, on with my nominations for the Liebster Award:
Nicki at The Peace Notes
Renee at Food + Fitness
Hayniedi at Empty Nest Remodelers
Cari at Saltwater and Sawdust
HERE ARE YOUR 11 QUESTIONS:
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is the first blog you remember reading regularly?
- If you could add on one room to your home, what would that be and why?
- If you could have dinner with any one person, here or gone, who would it be?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
- What is the most spontaneous thing you have ever done?
- Water or mountain view?
- If you could live in another time of history, when would that be? Why?
- What is the best advice you have been given?
- Do you make your bed every day?
- What is your favorite piece of furniture or accessory in your home?
For more information about the Leibster Award, you can read this very well-written post by Lorraine on her Wording Well blog.
Thanks again, Kimberley and Kaitlin for your “dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved…” Liebster nominations for my little blog!
Whew!!!! Now I can get back to blogging.